February 8, 2011

Sheltered

I will never forget that rainy Friday night. It was my first year of college; I was living in Portland.  I was driving around downtown Portland with my friend Chris and our friend Micaela - who had come to visit us for the weekend.  This song came on the stereo and I will not soon forget the conversation that followed.





(I hope you weren't too distracted by the beard...) 

I distinctly remember commenting that - though we were all single and no where near serious relationships - this is what I had hoped marriage would be like. That, even when everything around us is falling, my husband and I would be a shelter for each other. 

Chorus:
All of this around us'll fall over
I tell you what we're gonna do...
You will shelter me, my love
And I will shelter you.

Now that I have the incredible blessing of being married, I find great joy in the fact that my wonderful man is, indeed, a shelter - a safe place for me.  I know that, with him, my heart, hopes, dreams, and fears are safe. He sees me at my best and at my worst; and he loves me no matter what.

Lately, I have been reading through Psalms.  There, I have found reference after reference to God being our shelter.  Ps. 31: 1-2 says, "In you, O Lord, I have taken refuge; let me never be put to shame; deliver me in your righteousness. Turn your ear to me, come quickly to my rescue; be my rock of refuge, a strong fortress to save me."  I find great comfort that, even if everyone (including my amazing man) lets me down, I have a fortress, a shelter in an unchanging God.

I kinda wish that I could go back 5 years and tell myself that, with Christ at the center, married life is indeed a sweet, sweet shelter.  Oh, how I love that man!


-Laura


PS - Stay tuned tomorrow for some fun pictures of my girls night tonight!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Just Us

We will also remind you that this is just a BLOG…just the highlights. We don’t sit around happily smiling for pictures all day long. Our life is far from perfect: we are imperfect people serving a perfect God. We do strive to glorify God, but we fail miserably and find comfort in knowing that our debts have been paid and we have been set free.