March 21, 2012

Sister Weekend 2012

You know those relationships that just fit? Those relationships where, when you are together - regardless of the amount of time spent apart - everything fits.  Those relationships that you slip into like an old, favorite college sweatshirt. Those relationships where you sit in the same room for two hours and need not utter a word... and still connect.  Those relationships where you don't have to dust or vacuum or shower before they come.

Well, folks, such is the life of sisters.  (At least these ones)
This last weekend, Sister and I reunited for our Second Annual Sister Weekend, after nearly 3 months apart. I convinced her that if you do something two years in a row, it's a tradition. Meaning, she is now, forever, locked in to coming to visit me in March to celebrate her birthday. Every March for the rest of her life. Phew, I'm glad that's settled.

We had a wonderful time doing absolutely nothing.  I picked her up at the airport on Saturday afternoon; and, by the time we got home (40 minutes later), we had already covered pretty much everything.  And I mean everything.  Sister don't no waste time.

Such is how the weekend was.  Careening from topics as important as Extreme Days to the root of our pride and how to overcome it.  From faith to food, we just talked and talked.  Three solid days of talking, cooking, eating, Friends-watching, game-playing, and laughing.  Sister knows how to have a good time. (And, let the record show: I cleaned her clock in both Phase 10 and UpWords. There's no such thing as hospitality when games are involved.)
And, even though I mercilessly dominated in our game-marathon, I spent the entirety of the weekend marveling at God's grace in putting this woman in my life. She may be three years younger, but - man alive - is she wise!  Sister has a unique insight into people (myself included); and she is not afraid to stand for what she believes in - even if it means standing alone.  Every moment with her is an encouragement and a challenge to decrease that He may increase.

On the drive back to the airport to drop her off, I commented on how there truly is no relationship quite like that of sisters.

What an immeasurable blessing it is to consider mine a friend.



3 Comments:

  1. Laura,
    I'm so glad that you had this time with your sister. I got to meet her, ever so briefly (!), at church on Sunday --right before I hustled off to the nursery : ) She is sweet. I miss my sister so badly it hurts--so happy for you that you were able to spend time with yours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know exactly how you feel - my sister is my best friend. Shame I didn't realise it until I reached my 20s!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so sweet Laura! I have a brother (who I love dearly) but always wondered what it would be like to have a sister. Sounds like you two have a fab relationship! That is precious!

    ReplyDelete

Just Us

We will also remind you that this is just a BLOG…just the highlights. We don’t sit around happily smiling for pictures all day long. Our life is far from perfect: we are imperfect people serving a perfect God. We do strive to glorify God, but we fail miserably and find comfort in knowing that our debts have been paid and we have been set free.