August 27, 2012

Last First Day

Growing up, I loved the first day of school. The night before, I would lay out the outfit that had been carefully selected weeks in advance, I would triple-check my alarm to make sure I was leaving myself enough time to get ready, then I would lay in bed restlessly in anticipation of what the next day, and year, would bring.

Every year, my mom made a big deal of the first day of school: cooking a special breakfast and then posing us on our front porch with backpacks and lunch boxes for the annual picture.  That whole picture part, we kids could have done without, but it was all for tradition.  Alas, the older I get, I realize more and more that I am - happily - turning into my mother.  And, so, the first day of school picture tradition continues with our family.

Today was Cole's last first day of school. Last last last.  Ever. Yes, technically, he has another year before he graduates, but that last year will be all clinical and this is the last day that he goes to class for the first time and so I'm allowed to be sentimental, okay?  (Following me, here?)  This is his 20th and final first day of school.  It is hard to believe that we're over halfway through his grad school career.

Today, as I headed out the door for work, I forgot to snap that traditional first day picture.  (much to his relief, no doubt)  But, I can assure you, he was the most handsome guy I've ever seen sporting that White Coat. (Or any coat, for that matter.)

So, Cole, on your last first day, know that I am so incredibly proud of you and of all that you have and will accomplish.  You are an incredible student, an amazing husband, and will be the most wonderful doctor.  You have met every challenge with a grace that blows my mind; and you balance your roles as student and husband impeccably.  I love you, I love you, I love you.

Here's to another great year!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Just Us

We will also remind you that this is just a BLOG…just the highlights. We don’t sit around happily smiling for pictures all day long. Our life is far from perfect: we are imperfect people serving a perfect God. We do strive to glorify God, but we fail miserably and find comfort in knowing that our debts have been paid and we have been set free.