April 7, 2012

Tradition

If you spend any amount of time with my family during any given holiday, one thing becomes evidently clear: we hold tightly to our traditions.  To detail our Christmas traditions, alone, would take a novel.  But, quirky as they may be, we love them - and chances are, I'll pass 'em along to our kiddos.

Growing up, we always had Hot Cross Buns on Easter morning.  On Christmas morning, we always had Cinnamon Rolls and Egg-dish.  It didn't take long for the Schlect kids to realize: Christmas Breakfast > Easter Breakfast.  So, when we kids realized the inequity of the holiday breakfasts, we staged a *respectful* coup requesting Egg-dish and Cinnamon Rolls at all holiday breakfasts.  (If you've had my mama's cinnamon rolls, you know why.  If you have not, my pity for you knows no bounds.)  Ever since, we've had "Christmas Breakfast" for Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter, and any other time we can finagle it out of Mom.

Please don't count the number of times I just said 'breakfast.'  It's embarrassing.  Also, now you know far more than you ever bargained for about our weird food traditions.  You're welcome.
All that to say, it is Easter.  So, I made Hot Cross Buns. I used a new recipe this year *gasp*, and I'm still not too sure how I feel about it. Sorry, Ree, but no one can beat Mama's recipe.
Also, for what it's worth, it was with this new recipe that I had my first kitchen fire.  That's right, ladies and gentlemen, flames.  In my kitchen.  Apparently milk has flammable properties.  My best advice: watch the darn saucepan while it's on the stove.  (Don't worry, Mom, it wasn't really that bad.)
While making these rolls, it suddenly dawned on my as to why we lobbied so hard for Mom's Cinnamon Rolls over Hot Cross Buns:  the icing to bread ratio.  Think about it, cinnamon rolls are slathered and dripping with that sugary goodness.  Hot Cross Buns just get those two measly strips.  Well, this year, I found a solution:
Not quite true to its name, but tasty nonetheless.  While it's fun to keep the tradition going, something still feels missing.  It may be the different recipe, it may be the absence of raisins (because, ew), or it may just be because it's not Mama's.

And Mama's is a tradition.

Happy Easter!  He is Risen!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Just Us

We will also remind you that this is just a BLOG…just the highlights. We don’t sit around happily smiling for pictures all day long. Our life is far from perfect: we are imperfect people serving a perfect God. We do strive to glorify God, but we fail miserably and find comfort in knowing that our debts have been paid and we have been set free.