December 14, 2010

What was she thinking??!!!

Being newly married and enjoying this life of newlywedded bliss, we are not particularly in a hurry to settle down and procreate just yet.  Perhaps, if the Lord wills, someday we may; but it is not in our immediate plans. Well, that was an interesting segue into what I had intended to write about...

I think about the following subject often throughout the year, but during this particular season it is especially at the forefront of my mind. In the Christmas narrative - detailing the not-so-glorious arrival of the Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, and Prince of Peace, perhaps the character that strikes me most is that of Mary, Christ's mother.  As I sat at breakfast the other morning with Cole, we talked about how crazy this time of year must have been for her. (yeah, yeah, yeah... I know Jesus likely wasn't born on December 25th, but work with me here!)

What must she have been thinking?  I can't even begin to imagine what would have been going through her mind... An illegitimate pregnancy? Public scorn? Wait, the Holy Spirit will come upon me?? Nevertheless, her teenage response to the news of her impending pregnancy was astounding and mature beyond her years. She said, "I am the Lord's servant. May your word to me be fulfilled."  She was undoubtedly scared, but answered calmly and faithfully.

Anywho, one of my favorite, favorite Christmas songs (aside from the traditional "O Holy Night" and "O Come, All Ye Faithful" - because you just can't beat those) is this song sung from Mary's perspective.
Check it out. It's catchy :)  If I ever played Mary in a Nativity, I'd sing this.



Sweet Savior, thank you for giving up Heaven to come meet us here - you could have left us on our own, but You're here...  Emmanuel, God with us. There is no greater gift than this.

Merry Christmas!

-Laura

1 Comments:

Just Us

We will also remind you that this is just a BLOG…just the highlights. We don’t sit around happily smiling for pictures all day long. Our life is far from perfect: we are imperfect people serving a perfect God. We do strive to glorify God, but we fail miserably and find comfort in knowing that our debts have been paid and we have been set free.