February 8, 2011

Sheltered

I will never forget that rainy Friday night. It was my first year of college; I was living in Portland.  I was driving around downtown Portland with my friend Chris and our friend Micaela - who had come to visit us for the weekend.  This song came on the stereo and I will not soon forget the conversation that followed.





(I hope you weren't too distracted by the beard...) 

I distinctly remember commenting that - though we were all single and no where near serious relationships - this is what I had hoped marriage would be like. That, even when everything around us is falling, my husband and I would be a shelter for each other. 

Chorus:
All of this around us'll fall over
I tell you what we're gonna do...
You will shelter me, my love
And I will shelter you.

Now that I have the incredible blessing of being married, I find great joy in the fact that my wonderful man is, indeed, a shelter - a safe place for me.  I know that, with him, my heart, hopes, dreams, and fears are safe. He sees me at my best and at my worst; and he loves me no matter what.

Lately, I have been reading through Psalms.  There, I have found reference after reference to God being our shelter.  Ps. 31: 1-2 says, "In you, O Lord, I have taken refuge; let me never be put to shame; deliver me in your righteousness. Turn your ear to me, come quickly to my rescue; be my rock of refuge, a strong fortress to save me."  I find great comfort that, even if everyone (including my amazing man) lets me down, I have a fortress, a shelter in an unchanging God.

I kinda wish that I could go back 5 years and tell myself that, with Christ at the center, married life is indeed a sweet, sweet shelter.  Oh, how I love that man!


-Laura


PS - Stay tuned tomorrow for some fun pictures of my girls night tonight!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Just Us

We will also remind you that this is just a BLOG…just the highlights. We don’t sit around happily smiling for pictures all day long. Our life is far from perfect: we are imperfect people serving a perfect God. We do strive to glorify God, but we fail miserably and find comfort in knowing that our debts have been paid and we have been set free.

Follow by Email